Top 10 Records of 2009
1. Portugal the Man “The Satanic Satanists”
2. Portugal the Man “The Majestic Majesty”
3. Micah Schnabel “When the Stage Lights Go Dim” (since we didn’t originally release it)
4. Phoenix “Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix”
5. Chuck Ragan “Gold Country”
6. Gregory Alan Isakov “The Empty Northern Hemisphere”
7. Good Old War “Only Way to Be Alone”
8. Mariachi El Bronx “S/t”
9. Have Gun Will Travel “Postcards from the Friendly City”
10. Joey Kneiser “The All-Night Bedroom Revival”
Honorable Mentions: William Elliott Whitmore “Animals in the Dark”, Deer Tick “Born on Flag Day”, Horse Feathers “House With No Name”, American War “Rhetoric”, Sidekicks “Weight of Air”, Langhorne Slim “Be Set Fire”, Cobra Skulls “American Rubicon”, Revival Tour Compilation, Rodriguez “Cold Facts”, Michael Dean Damron “Father’s Day”, Builders and the Butchers “Temptation is a Deep Dark Well”
Know that I would put all of our recent releases on this list, but i figured I should make my selections from non-Suburban Home releases.
Top 5 Movies/Shows
1. Mad Men
3. True Blood
4. The Hangover
5. Up In the Air
Top 5 Books
1. Outliers: The Story of Success by Malcom Gladwell
2. Free: The Future of a Radical Price by Chris Anderson
3. What the Dog Saw by Malcom Gladwell
4. Pow! Right Between the Eyes! by Andy Nulman
5. Eating the Dinosaur by Chuck Klosterman
1. Our 14th Anniversary party surpassed my greatest expectations. People from all over the world came out, so many of our bands came out, and everyone had a blast.
2. The Chad Price brewery tour was probably the greatest day of beer drinking I have ever experienced. 10 breweries, 8 shows, and one wild crazy day/night
3. Kay Kay and His Weathered Underground’s instore performance at Angelo’s and later that night their hangout session at my house which involved them pulling out instruments and singing songs; my 3 year old son was so inspired, he pulled out his instruments and played along. I almost cried.
1. Tom Pfaeffle being shot to death for accidentally trying to open the wrong hotel room door.
2. 2009 was a tough year for Suburban Home/Vinyl Collective. I am really glad the year is over. 2010 will be much better for everyone.
1. Barrel Bourbon Stout by Odell
2. Olde School Barley Wine by Dogfish Head
3. Life and Limb by Dogfish/Sierra Nevada
4. Hercules double IPA by Great Divide
5. (tie) Brown Shuga by Lagunitas and Black Butte XXI by Descheutes
1. Great Divide beer pairing dinner at Osteria Marco
2. Stranahan’s Whiskey Dinner at the Lobby
3. Mussels in Red Curry w/ Israeli Couscous at Root Down
4. All You Can Eat Sushi at Go Fish
5. Anything at New Saigon